Formerly an academic library
today the third largest beer garden in Austria
Der Klosterhof ist ein Teil der Linzer Stadtgeschichte.
The house, first mentioned in documents in 1595, was acquired by Abbot Kaspar von Baumgartenberg in 1626. After the dissolution of Baumgartenberg Monastery in 1784, the Freihaus was handed over to Kremsmünster Monastery as a replacement for the Kremsmünster Freihaus on Herrenstraße, which had been repurposed as the Bishop's Court, and to house the library and the 'Museum Physicum”.
Since 1930, the Klosterhof has been a restaurant in the heart of Linz's gastronomy scene. The building was redesigned by Franz Zell, who also gave the Stiegl-Keller in Salzburg its current appearance.
Since 1929, the Stiegl Brewery in Salzburg has leased this historically significant building in Upper Austria. After extensive renovations in the spring of 2020, we, the Gassner family, have been pleased to welcome you to the Stiegl-Klosterhof since June 1, 2020. We have been a successful partner of the Stiegl Brewery for many years and, among other things, also operate the Stiegl-Keller in the city of Mozart.